I Made a Mess

On purpose.

But then I cleaned it up.

Top after flattening. All cleaned up.

There were several nail holes, gashes, splits, loose knots that needed some attention. I chose to fill those imperfections with some epoxy tinted to a solid black. The table will be dyed a very dark brown, so I think these black bits will look good, and hopefully natural, with a final finish on.

I used G2 Epoxy tinted to black with pigment from Curry’s, and thickened with regular wheat flour from the kitchen. It was a nice pasty consistency and as black as black can be.

Planing off the the epoxy left on the surface was about as hard as I thought it would be. A sharp iron cut right through without much problem, but the epoxy dulled it down pretty quick. After close to10 sharpenings I was done. I hadn’t flattened the top at all before this, so I cleaned up the epoxy and flattened the top all at once.

Hair line split and nail hole filled

Before all this epoxy craziness, i patched some of the uglier gashes with some new little pieces.

The top is done for now. Once everything else is done, I’ll give it a light sanding and ease the corners, then it will be ready for finish.

I’m ready to work on the base now. I’ll cut the legs and aprons to rough size and surface them next.

I’m hoping to have this completely done by the end of August. I *think* I’m on track.

Breadboard Ends and Drawboring

Wow, post #2. I am on a roll…

Last night I made some good progress after several weeks of no progress at all. Lately, by the time we get our 2 1/2 year old to bed it is pushing 9:30pm, so the thought of heading out to the shop isn’t as appealing as grabbing a beer and watching something on TV. Mondays/Tuesdays have been all about MasterChef lately. Call me what you will, but MasterChef is awesome.

Anyway, I was able to get the mortises in the breadboard ends cut out and fit onto the tongues/tenons running along the ends of the table top. I hogged out the waste with a forstner bit, then cleaned things up with a chisel. I needed to take a bit off the tenons using a router plane to get things to fit nicely.

The joinery on breadboard ends is all cross grain, so you can’t really glue the entire length. If you did, something would crack. I glue about an 8″ area that i want to remain stationary, in this case, the middle, then depend on pins to hold the rest of the joint tight. I normally clamp the glue-up, then drill out the holes for the pins and drive them in – all with the clamps in place. This time i decided to try a drawbore to really bring things together. I used a 1/16″ offset, which worked OK, but I think I should have offset more than that since I felt very little resistance when I hammered the pins in. I should have figured that. I’m using softwood. This was my first time drawboring, so i was a little chicken with the offset.

I used hard maple pins split from a piece of scrap, then driven through my ghetto home-made dowel plate. I used a pencil sharpener on the ends to get a taper, and gave them a light coat of paraffin wax.

Square pin becoming round

Square pin now looking pretty round

Next thing to do is patch all the rough spots on the table top. Some of these reclaimed boards were a little more beat up than i feel comfortable with so I’d like to patch up a few of the more unsightly areas. This thing is supposed to look rustic, but I have standards I need to uphold! I actually created a few gashes myself trying to coax out some of those 100+ year old nails. The steel was much softer than modern nails, so I had to get pretty aggressive with some of them. I had to sacrifice some wood to get at the nails that would bend up inside the wood instead of come out the other side.  Time to patch up the mess.