Some Leg Work

What a cheesy title.

As per this post, I decided to hog out these mortises with a mortise chisel instead of a router. I removed most of the waste with a slightly undersized drill bit and used the mortise chisel for the rest. The chisel scrapes away a pretty clean mortise wall as you hog out the waste.

These are the legs. The mortises will receive the tenons from the rails on the ends of the table.  I ran a stopped dado to receive the end panels before mortising anything.

Next up are the rails and stiles that make up the ends of the table…

Stock for the rails, stiles, and panels

New Project: Console Table

I am starting a new project in cherry (which will be a welcome change from the stinky reclaimed barn bards from my last project).  It is a console table that will look something like this:

SketchUp drawing of the table

I borrowed my son’s blue crayon and laid out all the parts on the rough boards.  That’s as far as I’ve gotten.

I’m going to cut out the parts for the side assemblies and tackle that first.  I will hopefully have all the parts cut to final size and have the joinery laid out by the start of next week.

Parts all laid out. There are a lot of parts in this little table…

Complete: Harvest Table

Harvest table from reclaimed threshing barn boards
6 feet long by 39 inches wide
Pegged mortise and tenon joinery
Dyed dark brown, and finished with oil/varnish blend and a top coat of beeswax
43 hours